It all started with an app called Vine; do you remember the rise of the six-second video app? It was all the rage and paved the way for how we interact with videos now. It was so successful that Instagram saw the opportunity and included video posts as a routine option. We eventually saw the video boom on nearly every social media platform.
In 2014, Mark Zuckerberg, CEO and Founder of Facebook, stated that “In five years most of Facebook will be video.” And by the end of 2014, Facebook generated nearly one billion video views a day. That’s a lot of views right? Wrong, by the end of 2015 that number jumped from one billion to eight billion! Last we checked that’s eight times the number of views from 2014!
So what does this mean? How can you capitalize on the trend?
Here are 10 stats on the ever-increasing digital video trend:
- The number of videos uploaded by users grew 94% in the US in one year.
- Video posts have a much wider organic reach, 135% compared to photos.
- Do you want your content shared? Videos generate three more times the more shares than text and images.
- Having a video on your landing page can increase conversions by 80%.
- Why read when you can just watch a video? 60% of people would rather watch a video than read a newsletter.
- After watching a video, 90% of people said it is helpful in their decision-making process.
- The average user spends around 16 minutes watching online video ads every month.
- 1/3 of all online activity is spent watching videos, thanks Netflix.
- Viewing a video can drastically affect the purchasing decision, 86% of shoppers were more inclined to purchase after watching a video on the product compared to those who didn’t.
- Organic traffic on search engines can increase by more than double when you use video on the page. .
Sources: Brightcove, Animoto, ComScore, Retail Touchpoints
The jury has decided and the verdict is…you need video! All of the evidence points to more users looking for video content, which leads to higher conversion rates and a greater organic reach. Video is a better way to build relationships with online users as well as an authentic way to communicate your brand story.